Fight Back with Help from a Professional New York Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Standing up for the rights of New Yorkers since 1994
Many people believe that sexual harassment consists of blatant sexual and physical advances, but this is often not the case. Many victims report that the sexual harassment they experience is subtle yet pervasive. The Law Offices of Tacopina & Seigel is honored to fight on behalf of anyone who experiences discrimination or sexual harassment in the workplace.
The firm’s employment discrimination lawyers in NYC have developed a reputation for providing aggressive and skilled representation. Additionally, attorney Joseph Tacopina is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®. This prestigious ranking shows that Mr. Tacopina is rated at the top of his field by his peers and members of the legal community.
Retaining the right employment discrimination attorneys in NYC
If you believe you are the victim of sexual harassment or discrimination, hiring the right employment lawyer is vital to your case. Following are the characteristics to look for in an employment litigation attorney in New York:
- Experience — Experience is a must when searching for an attorney to represent you in your sexual harassment or discrimination case. Tacopina & Seigel has been zealously litigating on behalf of New York employees since 1994.
- Knowledge — The laws governing sexual harassment and discrimination can be difficult to navigate. The legal team you hire must have a competent understanding of all aspects of employment law.
- Tenacity — The New York sexual harassment lawyer you hire should be prepared to pursue your claim with the utmost aggression.
- Reputation — Choosing a firm with a reputation for success can make all the difference. The Law Offices of Tacopina & Seigel is a well-established and highly respected NY law firm that is ready to protect your rights as an employee.
Prosecuting a claim for sexual harassment or workplace discrimination
When your employer or an agent of your employer sexually harasses or discriminates against you, the trusted civil attorneys at Tacopina & Seigel can fight for your rights. Below are common issues involved in prosecuting a claim for sexual harassment and discrimination:
- Pleading requirements — In a discrimination or sexual harassment case, the plaintiff employee alleges that the defendant employer or agents of the defendant employer engaged in behavior prohibited by state or federal law. Sexual harassment claims generally come in two forms: quid pro quo and hostile work environment. A quid pro quo sexual harassment plaintiff must demonstrate that he or she was forced to submit to behavior of a sexual nature or face adverse employment consequences. A hostile work environment plaintiff must prove that he or she was subjected to unwelcome sexual advances, the harassment affected a term or position of employment and the harassment was severe or pervasive.
- Issues to look for during discovery — In order to avoid a classic case of “he said, she said” it is important to identify and obtain documentary evidence to support your allegations. This evidence can take many forms including a daily journal documenting instances of harassment and maintained by you as the aggrieved party, offensive or threatening e-mails, internal memoranda, video surveillance, witness statements and, in rare instances, DNA as evidence of unwelcome or forcible physical or sexual contact.
- Using expert witnesses: Because so much sexual harassment and discrimination takes place via e-mails or through social media, computer experts can be essential witnesses to a plaintiff’s case because they have uncovered evidence buried in hard drives and other databases.
Passionate advocacy for NYC employees
When you face discrimination or sexual harassment of any kind at work, you have the right to take legal action. Let the Law Offices of Tacopina & Seigel stand up for your rights and assist you in collecting damages. Call today at 212-227-8877 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a highly qualified attorney at the firm.