New York Attorneys Build a Strong Defense Against Charges for Vehicular Crimes
A winning legal team serving clients in NYC since 1994
If not used responsibly, any type of motor vehicle can be a deadly weapon. When a person is injured or killed on the road, there may be civil and criminal cases. The validity of the criminal case depends on several factors. If you are arrested for a vehicular crime, you could be charged with a felony, and if convicted, you face prison time. The moment you are charged with a vehicular offense in NYC, you should consult with an experienced lawyer. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo have the skill, knowledge and proven record of success needed to provide you with effective representation every step of the way.
Lawyers in NYC defend you against vehicular assault and other vehicular crimes
Most vehicular crimes are felony offenses. In addition, vehicular crimes are violent offenses. This means that if you are convicted, you have a violent crime on your criminal record. In addition to losing your license, you could face a lengthy prison sentence. To protect your freedom and your future, you should consult with a New York DUI lawyer as soon as possible. An attorney can provide you with experienced guidance and sound advice if you are charged with any of the crimes below:
- Vehicular assault: You may be charged with vehicular assault if you cause serious injury to another person while you are operating a motor vehicle and are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Vehicular manslaughter: Vehicular manslaughter occurs when a person causes the death of another while operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Reckless endangerment: In New York, individuals who engage in conduct or behavior that creates a risk of injury or death to another person may be charged with reckless endangerment.
Defending against charges for vehicular crimes
Beating charges for a vehicular assault or manslaughter in NYC is possible. However, to increase your chances of success, it is in your best interests to retain a criminal law attorney who fully comprehends the following aspects of your case:
- Pleading requirements: Vehicular crimes are offenses in which an automobile is used as an instrument of crime. In New York, the two most common vehicular crimes are vehicular assault and vehicular manslaughter. The prosecution in a vehicular assault case must prove that the defendant caused serious bodily injury to another person while operating a motor vehicle in violation of New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 1192 (operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol). The prosecution in a vehicular manslaughter case must prove that either the defendant was operating a motor vehicle in violation of Section 1192 and, as a result, caused the death of another person or that the defendant otherwise met the requirements of Section 125.12 (drunk and reckless operation of a snowmobile or drunk and reckless operation of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 18,000 pounds transporting hazardous materials).
- Issues with discovery: Vehicular assault and manslaughter cases usually result from lengthy forensic inspection of the subject vehicle. As such, the vehicle itself and all inspection details can be essential discoverable materials. In some instances, it is prudent for the defense to retain its own vehicle inspection experts. With the increase of texting- and cellphone conversation-related incidents, it is sometimes necessary to obtain phone records and inspections of wireless devices.
- Key witnesses: Automotive accident experts who can provide testimony regarding the interaction of vehicles in motion and the effect of different road surfaces and climactic conditions can be essential to the defense in vehicular crime cases.
Well-known criminal defense attorneys help you fight vehicular crime charges
The Law Offices of Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo has a solid reputation as a highly successful and respected criminal defense law firm in the New York area. Call today at 212-227-8877 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with an experienced attorney at the firm.