Dedicated New York Attorneys Defend Clients Charged with Bank Fraud
Skillful New York City lawyers seek to discredit allegations of financial crimes
The term “bank fraud” can refer to a number of separate offenses, all of which are serious. The team of qualified lawyers at Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo defend clients accused of committing New York and federal bank fraud offenses. Based in New York City, our law firm represents individuals and organizations in the financial industry and other areas of business, tailor our defensive strategies to the specifics of each case.
Trusted attorneys handle common and uncommon bank fraud crime charges
Bank fraud can take many forms, including the following:
- Mortgage lending fraud — When mortgage industry insiders, such as appraisers and mortgage brokers, work together to misuse the lending process for their own profit, their actions may be alleged to be fraudulent.
- Racketeering — Known in New York as “enterprise corruption,” this crime consists of knowingly participating in a pattern of criminal activity as an employee or associate of a criminal enterprise. Racketeering laws are often used to prosecute alleged members of gangs and organized crime operations.
- Embezzlement — This crime involves unlawfully taking property that one is entrusted to care for on behalf of the owner. An employee, board member or contractor who siphons funds from a company without permission may be charged with embezzlement.
- Forgery — Providing false information in writing with the intent to commit fraud is forgery. Examples are counterfeiting, check fraud and creating a false will, contract or public record.
- Money laundering — This crime consists of passing proceeds of criminal conduct through an individual or organization to hide their origin and make the money look legitimate.
No matter the severity of the accusations made against you, we are prepared to zealously defend your actions and assert your rights. One common defense to a charge of bank fraud is lack of intent. If a person is accidentally caught up in a money laundering operation but genuinely believed that the money is being moved through lawful means, they did not knowingly participate in the criminal activity.
Knowledgeable lawyers navigate New York and U.S. bank fraud charges
Some bank fraud prosecutions charge individuals with trying to obtain assets from a bank by fraudulent means. Some accuse bank officers or employees with misrepresenting financial information.
Depending on the details of the alleged crime, bank fraud can be charged as a federal or state offense. The federal crime of bank fraud occurs when a person knowingly executes or attempts to execute a scheme or artifice to:
- defraud a financial institution; or
- obtain any of the moneys, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by, or under the custody or control of, a financial institution, by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations or promises
Our seasoned criminal law attorneys build meticulous defenses to both federal and state charges.
Contact tenacious New York City bank fraud defense lawyers to schedule a consultation
Based in New York City and practicing throughout New York, the criminal defense attorneys at Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo represent individuals accused of bank fraud offenses. To schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our respected legal team, call 212-227-8877 or contact us online.