New York Securities Litigation Lawyers Uphold the Rights of Investors
Reputable legal team dedicated to serving New Yorkers since 1994
The Law Offices of Tacopina & Seigel frequently assists clients in NYC with complex shareholder lawsuits and investor suits against brokers, planners and traders. While most securities disputes are resolved through arbitration, you should always be prepared to enter litigation. The highly regarded NYC attorneys at Tacopina & Seigel are sought by investors for their tenacity, skill and proven record of success.
Attorneys in NYC handle many types of securities litigation
Savvy investors know that all investments involve some level of risk and that the best investments often involve the most risk. That being said, an investor is entitled to know the level of risk involved with any particular investment. When that risk is misrepresented or made disproportionate from malfeasance by corporate management, brokers, traders and/or planners, the investor is exposed to unexpected chance and may have grounds to file a lawsuit in order to recoup lost money.
If you’ve lost money in the stock market or another investment channel, a securities fraud lawyer can help you determine whether you have an actionable claim. Some examples of the types of malfeasance giving rise to a securities cause of action include those listed below:
- Stock fraud
- Churning (the broker executes excessive transactions solely to generate commissions)
- Misrepresentation (the investment was represented as less risky than it really was)
- Unauthorized trading
- Excessive commissions
- Unsuitable investments (the level of risk was not disclosed to investor)
Prosecuting a NYC securities litigation claim
Due to the complex nature of bringing a civil claim against a broker, planner or trader, you should first consult with an experienced commercial litigation lawyer. The Law Offices of Tacopina & Seigel assists clients with the following issues in relation to securities litigation claims:
- Pleading requirements — Securities litigation encompasses a number of different types of lawsuits filed on behalf of investors. Some of the more common suits are broker malfeasance/malpractice cases and shareholder derivative actions. Usually, a shareholder derivative action is brought when shareholders in a company suspect that the managers of the company are breaching their fiduciary duties to the corporation and its shareholders. As a shareholder, you may seek to force the managers to cease wrongful behavior (known as injunctive relief) or seek monetary compensation from the managers.
- Issues to look for during discovery — In some respects, a shareholder derivative action is like a mutiny in that the shareholders are turning on the “captains” of the corporation. A major concern in these types of cases is that the managers of the corporation may either destroy or hide discoverable materials.
- Using expert witnesses — It is sometimes necessary to employ expert witnesses who can provide testimony about the standard of duty by which corporate managers are required to act.
Competent litigation lawyers provide sound advice to investors
If you are the victim of stock fraud or misrepresentation, the esteemed attorneys at the Law Offices of Tacopina & Seigel can help. Call today at 212-227-8877 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a highly qualified attorney at the firm.