Assertive New York Catastrophic Injury Lawyers Pursue Compensation
Dedicated Manhattan personal injury attorneys obtain sizeable settlements
When someone’s careless or reckless actions result in serious injuries, the victims deserve justice. Construction-site accidents, motor vehicle collisions, medical malpractice, defective product malfunctions and sports accidents are common causes of catastrophic injuries. The experienced litigators at Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo in New York City help victims pursue compensation for their medical costs, lost wages, long-term care, pain and suffering and emotional distress. Giving one-on-one attention, we pursue favorable outcomes based on our clients’ real needs. Our firm takes on tough cases throughout New York State.
Respected firm brings lawsuits for serious injury and wrongful death accidents
In New York, a catastrophic injury is a personal injury that results in any of the following:
- Significant disfigurement
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function or system
- Permanent consequential limitation of use of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of use of a body function or system
- A medically determined injury or impairment that prevents performing substantially all of the material acts constituting the person’s usual and customary daily activities for at least 90 days of the 180 days immediately following the injury or impairment
We are diligent in pursuit of compensation to cover the expenses of permanent disabilities such as paralysis, brain trauma, eye injuries, amputation, severe burns and organ damage. We also represent estates in wrongful death actions, seeking justice in behalf of families who have lost loved ones.
Meticulous lawyers work to demonstrate liability for damages
To prove that someone else is obligated to pay for your damages, including lost wages and medical care, it is necessary to establish their negligence. That means proving that they owed you a duty of care and breached that duty, resulting in your injury and its associated damages.
New York uses the “pure comparative negligence” rule to determine shares of liability for an accident damages. With this system, if a person injured in an accident is found to be a certain percentage at fault for the accident, the compensation they can collect is reduced by that percentage. When opposing counsel tries to put some or all of the blame on you, we use evidence and aggressive legal strategies to achieve a just apportionment of damages.
Caring attorneys explain key procedures in catastrophic injury cases
Our attorneys provide thoughtful guidance throughout the legal process, including the following important aspects:
- Documentation — The success of a personal injury claim depends heavily on the information provided. The court should receive as much documentation as possible about your accident and who was involved, as well as about the extent of your injuries and the compensation you hope to obtain.
- Discovery — Pretrial discovery in a catastrophic injury claim focuses on gathering all information available about the accident, who was responsible, the injuries suffered and the amount of compensation needed. We conduct thorough investigations into the events surrounding your injury, including how the injury could have been avoided, whether there were aggravating circumstances and all other factors relevant to liability.
- Expert witnesses — When a judge or jury needs help understanding the nature or extent of your injury and/or the damages resulting, we retain expert witnesses and consultants to provide clear, explanative testimony. Expert witnesses include physicians, psychiatrists, engineers, forensic accountants, computer specialists and finance professionals.
We are proud of our extensive record of favorable outcomes, having helped many clients and their family members secure needed compensation.
Contact a winning team of New York catastrophic injury attorneys for a free consultation
The accomplished litigators at Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo in New York City deliver fierce advocacy for New York clients hurt in catastrophic injury accidents. To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys, call 212-227-8877 or contact us online.