Matthew G. DeOreo
Matt DeOreo is a founding partner and co-head of the civil division of Tacopina, Seigel and DeOreo. He brings more than twenty years of extensive experience as a civil litigator.
Mr. DeOreo’s is a highly skilled and experienced civil litigator. He has successfully represented those who have endured workplace harassment and employment discrimination, victims of sexual assault and harassment and those who have been accidently injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Mr. DeOreo handles cases involving commercial litigation and contract disputes.
Mr. DeOreo frequently represents a wide range of clients for numerous types of civil matters in State and Federal trials and appellate courts, as well as before alternative dispute resolution bodies such as AAA, JAMS and NAM.
With over two decades of experience, Mr. DeOreo has help clients recover many multimillion settlements. Prior to joining Tacopina, Seigel & DeOreo, he was a member of a litigation team for a successful jury trial, which resulted in a $25.3 million judgment for the firm’s client based upon claims arising from breaches of personal guaranties. He also first-chaired a conservatorship trial and second-chaired both a trial and mediation for two cases concerning defective construction. Additionally, he second-chaired a six-month breach of trust trial, two ERISA trials and two labor arbitrations, all of which were successful.
Mr. DeOreo is admitted to the New York and Connecticut state bars. He received his Juris Doctorate from Ohio State University College of Law in 1998 and Bachelor of Arts from Colgate University in 1995. He has also been a member of the Litigation Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York since 2008 through 2016.
Recognized as one of NYC’s top civil litigation attorneys, Mr. DeOreo was selected to the 2019 New York Metro Super Lawyers list, an honor given to attorneys who exhibit excellence in practice.
- Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- Juris Doctorate – 1998
- Colgate University
- Bachelor of Arts – 1995
- Civil Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Employment Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- New York
Reported & Notable Cases:
- Centauro Liquid Opportunities Master Fund, L.P. v. Bazzoni, No. 15 CV 9003-LTS-SN, 2019 WL 4464242 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 18, 2019)
- LB on behalf of PB v. Hines, No. 15-CV-5238 (NSR), 2019 WL 3066427 (S.D.N.Y. July 12, 2019)
- Centauro Liquid Opportunities Master Fund, L.P. v. Bazzoni, No. 15 CV 9003-LTS-SN, 2018 WL 6340600 (S.D.N.Y. July 23, 2018)
- LB on behalf of PB v. Hines, No. 15-CV-5238 (NSR), 2018 WL 1773138 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 10, 2018)
- Centauro Liquid Opportunities Master Fund, L.P. v. Bazzoni, No. 15 CV 9003-LTS-SN, 2016 WL 5719793 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 30, 2016)
- Jeter v. RevolutionWear, Inc., No. CV 11706-VCG, 2016 WL 3947951 (Del. Ch. July 19, 2016)
- Baiul v. Disson, 607 F. App’x 18 (2d Cir. 2015)
- Baiul v. NBCUniversal Media, LLC, No. 13 CIV. 2205 KBF, 2014 WL 1651943 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 24, 2014),
- M’Baye v. World Boxing Ass’n, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23173 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 21, 2007)
- Matter of Comptroller of City of N.Y. v. Mayor of City of N.Y., 7 N.Y.3d 256 (2006)
- DiBella v. Hopkins, 403 F.3d 102 (2d Cir. N.Y. 2005)
- DiBella v. Hopkins, 407 F. Supp. 2d 537 (S.D.N.Y. 2005)
- Straight-Out Promotions, LLC v. Warren, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7276 (W.D. Ky. Apr. 26, 2005)
- Panix Productions Ltd. v. Lewis, 106 Fed. Appx., 757 (2d Cir. 2004)
- Wisell v. Indo-Med Commodities, Inc., 303 A.D. 2d 749 (2d Dept. 2003)
- Davis v. Kellenberg Memorial High School, 284 A.D. 2d 293 (2d Dept. 2001)
- Cruz v. Coach Storrs Inc., 202 F.3d 560 (2d Cir. 2000)